Tour guide services engaged in as part of a gainful business activity cover the detailed on-site presentation and introduction of attractions significant from a tourism point of view and other sites to visitors as well as the provision of related information and, as the case may be, assistance for visitors in the interest of their guidance and orientation in a place which they are not familiar with.
This activity may be pursued as a private individual or as a corporate entity; however, a corporate entity may only engage in this activity if the business organisation itself has a member or employee who satisfies the qualification requirements determined by law. The fundamental regulations equally apply to private individuals and business organisations in the licensing and reporting procedures.
A service provider residing in another EEA State may commence and engage in service activities under the same conditions as service providers residing in Hungary in the form of settlement, and such a service provider is governed by the same requirements as service providers residing in Hungary. Those persons may proceed as tour guides who have tour guide qualifications as prescribed in a separate legal rule.
It is mandatory to report the intention to engage in tour guide activities to the Hungarian Trade Licensing Office (MKEH). The trade authority issues an official certificate to the person intending to engage in tour guide activities simultaneously with registration on the basis of the report filed.
A person engaged in tour guide services is required to hold qualifications as a tour guide. Tour guide services may only be provided in the language(s), in respect of which the person engaged in tour guide activities has taken a language examination or in which he/she has equivalent language skills. In the case of a business engaged in tour guide activities which is not a natural person, the person actually providing tour guide services on behalf of the business must hold the relevant tour guide qualifications. The obligation to report the intended commencement of tour guide services lies with the business itself in respect of its members and employees.
Method of administration
A report may be filed in person or by way of authorised representative at the MKEH Customer Services Office (1124 Budapest, Németvölgyi út 37-39.), by mail (1534 Budapest BKKP, Pf.: 919.) or electronically.
Processing time limit: 10 business days
Administration costs: HUF 10,000 procedural fee
Form required for administration:
Documents required for administration:
- copy of deed verifying tour guide qualifications,
- copy of language certificate verifying command of language or copy of another equivalent deed verifying command of language,
- passport-sized photo (in case of submission in hard copy, 2 photos),
- photocopy of identity card,
- a declaration of consent to the management by the Hungarian Trade Licensing Office of the applicant’s personal details stated in the form and requested beyond the mandatory data disclosure in its official records solely for identification purposes,
- certificate verifying payment of procedural fee.
Tour guide services are a regulated profession coming under mandatory prior reporting. The service provider must report the tour guide activities intended to be pursued in Hungary on a temporary basis within the framework of cross-border services to the Hungarian Trade Licensing Office (MKEH) in writing, prior to the commencement of the services.
The authority assesses the reports filed on an individual basis. In the course of the procedure, the authority ascertains on the basis of the documents submitted whether the deed/certificate/licence authorises its holder to engage in tour guide activities. MKEH issues a certificate in verification of the required reporting. The report filed is valid for 1 year.
Method of administration: in person or by mail
Processing time limit: 15 days
Administration costs: General procedural duty of HUF 3,000 payable for public administration proceedings.
Please click here to read the general conditions of cross-border service provision in Hungary.
Documents required for administration:
- copy of public deed verifying citizenship,
- certified copy and translation of deed which verifies that the service provider is entitled to engage in the given profession as a settled service provider in a Member State,
- certified copies and certified translations of deeds verifying successful completion of training which prepared the service provider in his/her Member State for providing such services,
- if the service provider practised the given profession in the Member State to be settled in, certified copy and certified translation of deed which verifies that the service provider practised the given profession for minimum two years during the ten years preceding the filing of the report in the Member State to be settled in,
- certificate verifying payment of procedural duty.
- Act LXXVI of 2009 on the General Rules of the Commencement of and Engagement in Service Activities
- Act C of 2001 on the Recognition of Foreign Certificates and Degrees
- Government Decree No. 33/2008. (II. 21.) on the appointment of the authorities proceeding in cases coming under the effect of Act C of 2001 on the Recognition of Foreign Certificates and Degrees and the list of services coming under the obligation of issuing a declaration
- Decree No. 33/2009. (XII. 18.) on tour guide services
- Act CLXIV of 2005 on Trade